The months of September to December are a perfect time to enjoy certain autumn foods in their fullness and with their maximum flavor. Although with globalization we are able to buy them and enjoy them throughout the year, their flavor is not be the best when they are not cultivated in their season.
We are going to list you some autumn seasonal foods with which you can make delicious beef recipes:
It is clear that pumpkin is the queen of autumn. It provides many vitamins and minerals and, in addition has very few calories. You can make delicious recipes with it, from creams, purees, jams, to hearty dishes such as a good beef stew with pumpkin. This dish is a recipe with a taste between sweet and salty that is very easy to prepare.
Pumpkin and Beef Stew
500 grs beef
600 grs pumpkin
2 cloves of garlic
200g tomato sauce
300 ml of meat broth
100 ml white wine for cooking
Oregano, salt, pepper and oil (preferably olive)
- Heat a little oil in a saucepan and cook the seasoned and chopped meat for about three minutes. Remove from the fire.
- In the same casserole, lower the heat to medium heat and sauté the onions and finely chopped garlic. Season and cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the oregano, tomato sauce and wine. Cook until the alcohol evaporates and then add the meat and broth again and bring to a boil. When it starts to boil, add the potatoes and cook over medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Add the pumpkin in small cubes and cook for 15 more minutes.
Chestnuts are also a typical autumn food. They are very nutritious nuts that, unlike the rest of their peers, have very few calories. They are rich in fiber and containing vitamin E, various types of B vitamins, folic acid and multiple minerals such as calcium and magnesium. With chestnuts we can also prepare wonderful dishes to warm the body in cold weather. We can mention, for example, of hearty beef stews with chestnuts, but we can also use them to make stuffings or even sauces.
Beef Tenderloin with Chestnut Sauce
2 beef tenderloins
75 grs chestnuts (roasted, cooked or canned)
60 grs leeks
100 grs onion
3 garlic cloves
½ glass of sweet wine
2 and a half glasses of beef broth
Oil, salt and pepper
- Season the sirloins and seal them in the pan with the oil, the chestnuts and the whole garlic cloves. Remove the meat when it is sealed.
- Sauté the finely chopped onions, garlic and leeks in the oil in which the meat has been sealed, then add the chestnuts keeping a few whole ones apart before blending.
- Add the sweet wine, boil 2-3 minutes and add the meat broth. Stir and cook uncovered for about five minutes. Then, pass it through the blender until it is a fine consistency. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the meat to the sauce and some whole chestnuts, cover and cook for another fifteen minutes.
Fruits: Apples, Grapes and Pomegranates
Fruits are another essential product that reaches its peak in autumn, especially apples, grapes and pomegranates. With them you can make great dishes that combine perfectly with meat, such as a delicious beef tenderloin with apple sauce.
Beef Tenderloin with Apple Sauce
1 beef tenderloin
100 grs pine nuts
4 garlic cloves
salt, white pepper and olive oil
1 trickle of brandy
- Season the sirloin and seal in a saucepan with a generous amount of oil. Reserve the meat.
- In the same pan cook the onion cut in julienne and the garlic over low heat. Halfway through cooking, add the diced apple, stirring from time to time.
- Add the sirloin and cook everything for about 7 minutes. During that time add the brandy and let it evaporate. You have to turn the sirloin continuously so that it cooks evenly. Take it out again and reserve.
- Take the onion and the apple and put them through the blender. Put the sauce back in the casserole, add the pine nuts, prunes and sirloin and cook for 3-4 more minutes.
Mushrooms and Fungi
These local products are a classic in autumn and delicious dishes can also be prepared with them, such as our beef stew with mushrooms. One of the most interesting benefits of mushrooms and fungi is their high fiber content, which satiates and has antioxidant properties.